Zip Zap Circus | Cape Town
Welcome to ZipZap
ZipZap Circus is a circus school that promotes individual talent from all areas of Cape Town.
Perspective through talent
Zip Zap’s vision is simple: children of all origins, skin colour, culture, etc. are shown that they do not differ in the attributes that matter. Instead, the focus is on the talent of each individual, making each one an indispensable part of the whole.
What you can expect
As a volunteer you will be actively involved in training and coaching the young artists. You plan and prepare your courses yourself. You also look behind the scenes of planning an entire circus show and accompany it from the creation and the beginning of the training to the performance in front of a large audience. From time to time you also support the project in the administrative area and fundraising.
About the Project
ZipZap is a circus school that offers equal opportunities to all children. Many children come from the surrounding townships. By participating in Zip Zap, they should learn that there is talent in each of them. ZipZap wants to help children learn to dream and make those dreams come true. As a social circus, it plays an important role to automatically teach the children in training values such as discipline, personal responsibility and punctuality – also in the long term. Children who started at Zip Zap years ago are now active as teachers at Zip Zap themselves, working in the film or music industry, among other things, and thus supporting Zip Zap in the long term.
There are 3 main programmes that Zip Zap offers:
- 4 outreach projects, one of which takes place in the township and the others in the circus school
- 3 Youth programmes, for children of all cultures and levels, which also take place in the circus school
- Dare to Dream, which includes a full day circus and life skills programme. The aim is to provide vocational training as an artist, technician, circus teacher or in the administrative field.
With the different programmes, several shows are worked out each year, which are performed in the appropriate setting. The D2D show is on a professional level and is performed in well-known institutions in Cape Town.
What you bring with you
During the training:
- You have practical, years of experience in circus performances, such as acrobatics, juggling, trapeze, vertical cloth, or high wire, and have mastered at least one of these disciplines at a good technical level.
- You have experience in working and leading children's and youth groups.
- You are creative and you may have a talent for make-up artistry and photography. When working in the office:
- You can work with the common Microsoft Office programs safely.
- You have a good command of English.
- You may already have some work experience.
Children and young adults from 6 to 24 years