Home » Voluntary service in South Africa

Volunteer service in South Africa

What is weltwärts?

With the weltwärts development volunteer service, you can spend between 12 and 24 months in a placement in South Africa, for example in the areas of education, health, environment, culture or sport. Learning together and intercultural exchange are at the forefront of weltwärts.

go weltwärts with SAGE Net

weltwärts host projects in South Africa

Click on dots to view the projects

Step by step: weltwärts in South Africa

All about weltwärts

A compulsory part of the voluntary service is the preparation seminar, where topics are dealt with that prepare you for your stay. We learn new things in a playful way. Since weltwärts is a development policy volunteer service, you should educate yourself about political world events. We collect (book) recommendations from our volunteers and have linked them HERE.

Weltwärts is a voluntary service funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. The BMZ covers 75% of the costs for each volunteer. The remaining 25% is contributed in the form of a circle of donors.

SAGE Net will draw up a contract for you and take care of your insurance and accommodation. Through BMZ finances, your return flight will be booked for you and you will receive a monthly allowance. Before you leave the country, your visa application will be discussed with you in detail and you will be provided with all the necessary documents. In South Africa, you will have a mentor at your side who you can contact at any time and who will work closely with the volunteers. SAGE Net also organises a preparation, mid-term and follow-up seminar.

The donor circle is a network that you build up. With it, you make people in your environment aware of your voluntary service. Every volunteer should build up such a circle of donors (before leaving home). The money flows into a solidarity pot. The monthly pocket money and the seminars are financed from this solidarity pot. How you collect your donations is up to you. At the preparatory seminar, we also talk about donations and develop ideas together.